Ideal Villages Create your ideal world
Ideal Villages Forum
October 21, 2017, 01:16:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New villages added every week!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 - Instructions: How to make an Ideal Village  (Read 11670 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:55:04 PM »

It can be a lot of fun to make your own Ideal Village (or ideal school, team, band).   The Ideal Villages (IV) software is easy to use, as you will see from the instructions below.  

You can see what a "village" is by looking at the Norwegian-Americans "village" or the New York Yankees or my personal Ideal City.  

The items that you see in each village represent people, buildings, books, whatever.   They are called "icon-units."   To make a village you (1) make a bunch of icon-units and then (2) add them to a village.  That's all it takes.    

First, you gather together some images and links that represent things that you like or love or are generally crazy about.  (You should probably make a new folder for your computer desktop and call it "IV Resources" for storing images and links that you want to use in icon-units.)    

Next, you use our software to make both the icon-units and the villages.   Everything you need can be found at one address: your IV control panel.      

You'll need to do just four things, each of which is quite simple:  
       (A) Create a village;  
       (B) Upload an image;
       (C) Add a title and link to the image, to create an "icon-unit";  
       (D) Add the icon-unit to your village.  

Remember, your control center is right here.  (There's also a link at the top of every forum page).   Any time you get confused, go back to your control panel.  If you're still confused, come back to this instructions page.  

If there's a problem, please post about it!   We'll answer quickly and get everything taken care of.  

A.  Create a Village

Creating a village is done in three short steps:  

1:  In your Control panel, click on the Create a Village link.  A new page will open up, with a large gray field.  That's where all your icon-units will eventually go.  Right now, of course, it's empty.  

2:  Go to the bottom of the page and type in a name for your village.  

3:  Click on the Save Village button -- that's it!  

B.  Upload an image (= create a thumbnail)  

This takes just a few quick steps.  As a prerequisite, you do need to have an image already selecte4d for uploading.  This image is stored somewhere on your computer, preferably in a folder on your computer's desktop.

1:  Near the top of your Control panel, you'll see a link to your Icon-Unit Editor.  Click on the the link to open your IU Editor.  

2:  You'll see a link on the right that says "Upload new image."   Click on that link.

3:  Just do as the small window indicates:  browse to the image on your computer.

4:  Once you've navigated to the image, click on it, then click on Open.  

5:  You'll see the image's location in the space next to Browse."  Just click on Upload and there you are -- you've created a thumbnail!    

C.  Create the icon-unit

You now have a thumbnail as a result of having uploaded your image.  Next you'll add just two items of information to the thumbnail, and then you will have created your first icon-unit.  You'll usually add: (1) a name or title for the icon-unit; and (2) a url to the site that you want to reference.  

It helps if you have the URL for your link already on hand.  You might already know it (http://www.google.com, http://www.cnn.com); you might copy it from from your Web browser; or you might have already stored it in the "IV Resources" folder on your desktop.  

To make the IU, open the Icon-Unit Editor.  Over on the right, below where it says "Create a New Icon-Unit from a Stored Image," take these simple steps:  

1:  Click on the image you want to use for this icon-unit;      
       2:  Type in the name you want to give the IU;
       3:  Paste the URL;    
       4:  Choose the village that the icon-unit will belong to in the drop-down menu;
       5:  Click on "Save."  

You've now created your first icon-unit!  

D.  Add the Icon-Unit to the Village

You're almost there.  The only remaining step is to add the icon-unit to your village.    

1:  Open the village for editing:  find the name of your village in the Editor; click on the word "Edit."  The village that you created in "C," above, will open up.

2:  The icon-unit you created in Step C, above, will appear to the right of the village.   Just click on the icon-unit and it will appear in the village "box".  Magic!  

3:  Using your mouse, move the icon-unit around within the village to see where it should go.  

4:  When you're happy with the icon-unit's location, go to the bottom of the screen and click on the "Save the Village" button.  

Result:  You're off to a good start with your first village.   You can now do whatever you wish: create more icon-units; add them to your first village; create another village; make more IUs and add them to whatever village you like.    

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:09:15 AM by Anne Arbor » Logged
ayeshrajans
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:53:09 PM »

Back to IV, again!

I have a small question, not sure I'm stupid.

The thing that I want to do is adding a background image. I'm not very happy with plain color background.
1. How can I upload a big photo and set it as the background ?
Let's say it's a road map, then, can I add a big photo and move IUs over it ? I can't see a link to upload a "background photo".
Also, allowing us to use gradient backgrounds, or tiled style could be great(I think).

2. Is there any-auto save/manual-save feature ?

Feel free to delete this reply if this is looking unprofessional Wink
Anne Arbor
tAPir

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:04:20 AM »

Ayesh, we are very pleased to have you post in the IV forum.   Your questions are very welcome.   

I'm sorry but we are not able just yet to offer the option of uploading background images.   We agree that the solid-color backgrounds are somewhat bland, and we hope to offer more choices in the future.   

When you ask about a manual or auto-save feature, can you be more specific?   The IU's are saved by clicking on the save button in the IU form.   A village is saved by using the button at the bottom of the Village Editor page.   Is there another save that we need?   (No, we don't have any Auto save feature now.  Each user will have to save his or her work before going to the next step.   Smiley )

ayeshrajans
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:22:33 AM »

Hello Anne,
Okay, I'm waiting to see that background stuff.

I meant automatic saving of village. I know that it's a bit difficult to make changes get saved automatically.
But, If I forgot to save changes, I have to build the village from the scratch.
However I'm happy with icon units. They gets saved automatically so I only have to place them in the village.

So, please forget my autosave thought.
Anne Arbor
tAPir

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:35:08 AM »

Ayesh, perhaps you will be able to have fun trying out some different background colors, while you wait for more exciting backgrounds.   Wink

On the saving issue -- you can add just a few IU's at a time to your village.  One, three, five.   So, my recommendation is to add just a few IU's, and then save the village.   Then go back to the IU Editor and make 2-3 more IU's.   And then back to the Village Editor -- add those 2 or 3, put them in position, and save the whole thing.   

The point is -- you do not have to save the village and then it's done.  You can make very small changes, save them; then make more small changes, and save those.  As often as you wish.   

Hope that's helpful. 

ayeshrajans
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:45:12 AM »

you can add just a few IU's at a time to your village.  One, three, five.   So, my recommendation is to add just a few IU's, and then save the village.   Then go back to the IU Editor and make 2-3 more IU's.   And then back to the Village Editor -- add those 2 or 3, put them in position, and save the whole thing.   

Yes, I think that that's the best way to do this. What about adding a message box asking user to save changes when he/she leave the Village Editor ?

I haven't done this earlier, but I can remember that "I found a small java script" to do the trick...
ayeshrajans
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:47:25 AM »

Just noticed that there is a forum category to add suggestions. I will go there saving the professionalism of this thread :-)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:47:51 AM »

. . .  What about adding a message box asking user to save changes when he/she leave the Village Editor ?

. . .

I think that's actually rather easy to do.   I'll ask our excellent developer about it, after he has had a chance to rest up from all the IV work he did over the weekend.    Wink
Admin
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 12:48:45 AM »

Just noticed that there is a forum category to add suggestions. I will go there saving the professionalism of this thread :-)

We appreciate your consideration.   Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: